Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Quilting & Sewing Therapy

There hadn't been too much sewing done for the past several days due to the rotary cutter accident with my little finger, but it actually forced me to get out my quilting frame and force myself to finish quilting by hand the quilt I made for my mother-in-law and her husband. I used the fabrics that belonged to my M.I.L.'s husbands mother that was given to me by my sister-in-law. I've always wanted to make a Wedding Ring Quilt so I found acrylic templates for a Double Wedding Ring Quilt from Joann's. You can purchase them here. I did a little altering and used muslin to create a flower bouquet effect.....it's nearly complete....the stitches aren't as small as I normally would make them and definitely not as I like, but I was able to accomplish more, nearly half of the quilt done, and I will be using a scalloped edge.


A close-up of my quilting---don't laugh--I promise....I really don't quilt that big... :)




This quilt has taken over 5 months to get to this point.....it took a backseat while I finished orders, but my goal is to have this done by Christmas. Earlier today was my chance to try something different and actually get back into sewing & using the rotary cutter again.....SCARY! But I had my gloves on--I don't know if they really work, but I really wasn't about the sit there and run the rotary cutter across the glove...no thank you, I'll leave it to someone out there stupid enough or maybe daring enough to test it out for me & let me know the result!


But here are the boots that I made out of Linen and my special ordered Grip Dot soles--a matching Linen dress will be following...I'm working on that right now and will definitely post a pic. If you want to give it a shot, you can purchase these at etsy--under username: ithinksewdotcom, she's having a sale right now and you better scoop it up at that price...I didn't get the sale price so I'm a bit upset, but it's a cute dress and a really cute UGG boot like pattern. If you decide to make it, let me know, I'd love to see how yours turns out.



So that's it as far as current projects that I can take pictures of, I've pretty much got a ton of projects half finished or that I just started cutting that I've got to get back to. I may not be around much this week as I will be busy sewing for the craft fair this Saturday--Wish me many sales! Have a great day and rest of the week!

10 comments:

Christina said...

That quilt is just too gorgeous for words...I feel more inspiration coming on! I've been planning on making wedding ring quilts, but I had never seen the bouquet version with the muslin as the center trapezoid (for lack of a better shape to call it). It's a beautiful effect that I'll have to add to my idea bank.

Shari said...

What a great effect! I love the flower bouquets. And the stitching looks ok - consistency is what you aim for. I really like the leaf motif.
Hope your boots are warm!
Cheers

Sassy Runner Girl said...

This is gorgeous! I love it.. also love the boots.. Nate would love em. He likes warm and cozy feetsies!

rossandconnierockon! said...

This quilt is beautiful! I love the boots . . . cannot wait to see the dress!

~Niki~ said...

Would love to have you join us! in the Last Push quiltathon!
http://justusquilters.blogspot.com/
Add the button and spread the quilty word! HUGS. Remember, Dec 13 is just around the corner!
Niki in AZ

Dee said...

That quilt is just devine. It is the most beautiful hand work I've seen. Love this quilt. You are an inspiration. I love looking at your work. D. :=)

Valerie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie said...

You are so talented. The quilt is absolutely beautiful. I love coming to your blog and coveting, huh I mean looking at all your beautiful items. I do need to comment more, sorry for that.

carrie said...

Ahh! I love those boots. Too cute. The quilt is amazing too. Good job!

gin said...

sorry about your finger. Hope the pain is going away. I bought your heart quilt pattern. Can't wait to get started on it, though it won't be till after the holidays.
I love looking at your work. It's all magnificent.

Related Posts with Thumbnails